08 Jun 17 Must Have Search Engine Optimization Tools
Most business owner’s know the important role that search engine optimization has in the growth of their business. In order to stay competitive in today economy the choice of whether or not to include SEO into your marketing mix is really no longer an option. Due the changes in the search engine algorithms, SEO is not so straight forward anymore. In order to stay on top of the searches it takes a strategy, consistent outreach and promotion.
I am often asked about the search engine optimization tools that I use and recommend. Before I share my list of must have resources I think it important to understand how the SEO process works. Often times I find that users are too dependent on the tools and end up frustrated when it does not produce the desired result.
If you don’t know what search engine optimization is or how it works read my most recent articles 6 Ways To Optimize Your Website To Improve Your Search Engine Rankings And To Make Google Happy and Off Page SEO Secrets: Link Building Tips And Tactics.
17 SEO Tools the Will Help Improve Your Search Engine Rankings
Keyword Research Tools
All good SEO strategies start with keyword research. The better you are at finding high traffic and low competition keywords the better your results will be. Here is a list of my go to keyword research tools:
- Google Keyword Planner is a free tool to use in order to find low competition and high traffic keywords/phrases for your business, product or service. In order to use this tool you will need to set up a Google AdWords account. To learn how to do keyword research visit Google Keyword Planner video tutorial.
- Ubersuggest is a free keyword suggestion tool that allows you to find related keywords. It helps you brainstorm and find keywords that people are searching for in real-time. Here’s how to use Ubersuggest to find related keywords.
- Keywordtool.io is blend between Google keyword planner and Ubersuggest. It generates up to 750 plus keyword suggestion for every keyword in one step. Try keywordtool.io for free.
- Keyword Canine is my go to keyword research tool, it does require a monthly subscription. Keyword Canine can provide the same results as the tools above in half the time. It allows you to put keyword research, competition research and brainstorming on autopilot. Watch Keyword Canine Demo Video.
Competitor Research Tools
The key to getting great SEO results is understanding your competition and how they operate. It’s difficult to come up with an effective strategy when you don’t know what the competition is doing. Here are some highly recommended competitor research tools:
- SEMrush is an all in one competitor research tool, it allows you to do keyword research and research competitors. It also provides competitors advertising and backlink data. It has a lot of robust features as well as real-time metrics that will help improve your SEO strategy. Here is a video overview of SEMrush.
- MOZpro is similar to SEMrush, in addition to competition data it also offers website audit reports and additional products such as a local directory listing services. Click here to learn more about Mozlocal service.
- Mozbar is another Moz product, it is a Chrome/Firefox extension that provides SEO data while you surf the web. Download the Mozbar.
- SEOquake is extension similar to the Mozbar, it provides SEO metrics at a glance so you can quickly assess the competition. Download SEOquake tool bar.
Topic Research Tools
If you publish content on regular basis then you probably hit a block at one time or another when comes to content creation. Which is why topic research tools are extremely helpful. Below are my favorite topic research tools:
- Buzzsumo allows you see what types content performs in real-time. It also provide social metrics which gives insight into what types of content your readers want and share. Learn how to use Buzzsumo to get content ideas.
- Hubspot Topic Generator is simple and easy to tool that provide blog topic ideas. Just enter a few nouns and it can provide a week’s full of topic ideas. Starting using Hubpot Topic Generator.
SERP (Search Engine Ranking Position) Monitor Tools
SEO is like any other marketing strategy in order to know if it is effective it needs to be measured. Here are two SERP tracking tools I recommend:
- SERPfox is an easy to use search engine tracking tool, just plugin in your URL, keywords and the software does the rest.
- Sourcehunter has more features then SERPfox, it offers real-time SERP tracking. What really unique about Source Hunter it can also provide you with keywords that your site is currently ranking for before your start the SEO process.
- Google Analytics provides updated website insights such as traffic, referral sources and visitor behavior flow. Click here to learn the Google analytic basics.
- Google Webmaster tools allow you to dive deeper into your website and actually see your website as Google does.
There is no lack of SEO software available on the market, the tools that I mention above are just some of my favorite go to tools that I use on a regular if not daily basis.
Do you have a favorite search engine optimization tool that I didn’t mention above?
Please share them in the comments below.