09 Mar 6 Steps to Creating a Successful Content Marketing Campaign
Content marketing has become the foundation to any successful Internet marketing campaign. Today’s consumers are savvy. They want to be informed and educated about your business, product or service before they spend their hard-earned dollars. Publishing high quality targeted content that provides useful information can help position your business as an authority in your industry which will result in increasing your brand awareness, targeted leads and new customers.
A well planned and executed content marketing strategy requires effort and active participation on your part. In order to create loyal readers and build an active community, you will need to interact with your readers on a regular basis to build trust and credibility.
You can expand your market share by following these tried and tested content marketing tips:
1. Define your Goals
The first step of any strategy is to define your business and marketing goals. What results do you expect to achieve from your content marketing efforts? Do you want to build your brand awareness? Drive more targeted leads to your website? Use your blog as a marketing/sales funnel for your product or service? How does content marketing fit into your overall marketing strategy? Knowing yours goals upfront will help shape your plan.
2. Research your Buyers Personas
Know who you’re writing for and why. The main purpose of content marketing is to provide value to your readers. Your target audience will help determine what types of content you should produce. Unless your content is targeted to your potential customer’s wants and needs, they will never connect with your brand and see your business as a trusted resource.
Take the time to research your target audience’s demographics:
- What are their wants and interests?
- What are their needs?
- What social platforms do they use?
- How can your product or service address their wants and needs?
Need help creating a buyer’s persona? Click here to download Hubspot ” Buyer Personas Template”.
3. Repurpose by Leveraging Different Types of Content
All successful campaigns leverage 2 or more types of content. For example, you can repurpose a blog content by creating an Infographic or PowerPoint presentation.
Here are several examples of content types to include in your marketing mix:
- Blog Posts
- White Papers/Guides/PDF
- Videos/Live Webinars
- PowerPoint presentations
- LinkedIn long form post
4. Promote, Promote, Promote
Once you create your content you need to promote it in order to attract new readers and potential customers. This is where a lot of businesses fall short. They produce these high quality editorial pieces that no one reads!
Here are some content promotion ideas:
- Email your list
- Share on social media sites
- Submit to Content Communities: Blog Engage, Bizsuger and Triberr
- Invest in content syndication networks (paid): Outbrain, Zemanta, and Simplereach
5. Develop a Content Marketing Management System
It’s important to have a process to manage your campaign especially if you have a multiple members on your marketing team. There are several free and paid tools available that will help you manage your content flow.
Here are some things to consider when creating your system:
- Research trending topics related to your industry, product or service. Topic research websites: Buzzfeed, Buzzsumo and Blogtap Topic Generator
- Choose a content pillar: this is your “big idea” theme that can be broken down into smaller, detailed content assets.
- Do your keyword research upfront: know what keywords your potential customers are using to find information on your topic. Keyword research tools: Google Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest, Keyword Canine (paid), SEMrush (paid)
- Create a content calendar. Schedule content publishing 1 to 3 months in advance. Free calender template: Hubspot “Blog editorial calender” and free WordPress editorial calendar plugin: Edit flow
6. Track, Measure and Tweak your Campaign
In order to know how effective your content marketing is you have to track your campaign. All marketing strategies are essentially an experiment. You develop a plan, test your strategy, analyze the data, and then either scale up or tweak your campaign based on the results. For example you can use blog analytic tools to see which blog posts attract the most visitors and then publish more content similar to those post.
Here are some analytic tools to help track your marketing efforts:
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- KISSmetrics (paid)
- WordPress plugins : Hit Sniffer and Advance Blog Metrics
Keep in mind that content marketing is a long-term strategy. It takes time, consistency and commitment to build your readership, community and authority. However, the rewards of building an unstoppable and growing business are well worth the wait.